About Novo Nordisk
We are committed to patients, communities, and the environment. Novo Nordisk is a focused health care company and a world leader in diabetes care.
The well-being of people with chronic illness has always been at the heart of our company. Our roots reach back to 1923, when a man was driven to find a diabetes treatment for his wife. We carry that same passion and commitment beyond diabetes into our work for people with growth hormone-related disorders.
The Triple Bottom Line
Novo Nordisk is committed to doing business in a responsible manner. We adopted our "Triple Bottom Line" approach more than a decade ago, and the principle is now anchored in the company’s values.
In all work, we strive to be:
The Triple Bottom Line ensures that we remain balanced. At Novo Nordisk, it’s not just about making a profit; it’s also about how profits are earned and how we conduct ourselves as a company. From an environmental standpoint, our consciousness is not just a token effort. We believe that by conducting our business in an environmentally sustainable way, we will promote positive change.
Novo Nordisk has been recognized for its commitment to the values and ethics that are embodied by its Triple Bottom Line.
Following are just a few of the awards we’ve received:
- Named on Fortune’s 2014 100 Best Companies to Work For, 7th consecutive year
- #5 for workplace for women
- Named #2 on Science’s Careers Top Employers list
- Ranked #5 in the Top 100 sustainable companies at the Annual Summit of Green Companies held in Kunming, China, 2013
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World Index by Corporate Knights:
- In 2013, ranked highest in the Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology industry group and #5 overall
- In 2012, ranked #1 in the world
- Named on the list from 2005 – 2014 (every year the list has been published)
- Included in Diversity Inc.’s Top Noteworthy Companies for Diversity in 2014
- Given a 92% environmental score in the 2011 Dow Jones Sustainability Index
- Among NJBIZ Best Places to Work (10 years straight)
In 2006, Novo Nordisk became a member of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Climate Savers program. By increasing efficiency, Climate Savers companies are decreasing CO2 emissions while growing the company. We’re one of only two pharmaceutical companies officially registered as a Climate Saver.
We set an ambitious target for our CO2 emissions from production: to achieve an absolute reduction of 10% by 2014 compared with 2004 emission levels.
To meet this goal, we:
- Converted all of our Danish operations to 100% wind power in 2010.
- Reduced our CO2 emissions from energy consumption by 56%, 2011 compared with 2004.
- We beat our 2014 goal 5 years ahead of schedule.