Preparing for the injection.
It’s important to get mentally prepared to give an injection, as well as get all the necessary materials together. All children react differently to the idea of a daily injection, and even kids who are accepting at first may have difficulty later. Consider your child’s temperament and create a strategy to keep the injections as smooth as possible.
If your child doesn’t like to see needles, consider using PenMate®, designed exclusively for use with 5 mg, 10 mg, and 15 mg FlexPro® pens. PenMate® completely covers the needle so it can’t be seen during the injection.
- Mental preparation is important, for both you and your child. You’ll want to do the injection at a time when you’re both calm, relaxed, and emotionally ready.
- Choose the time. Ideally, you’ll want to do the injection at the same time every day. This is important to keep a consistent level of Norditropin® in the body and also to help it become a part of your daily routine.
- Get the space ready. You should do the injection in a clean, quiet, stress-free environment, with plenty of room to lay out your materials.
Gather your materials. To ensure that the injection goes smoothly, it’s helpful to have everything at hand. You’ll need:
- FlexPro® pen
- PenMate® (optional), if you're using it with the 5 mg, 10 mg, or 15 mg FlexPro® pen
- Sharps container for needle disposal (included in your Starter Kit)
- Alcohol wipes
- You may also want to consider having on hand:
- A distraction for your child, such as a book, game, or teddy bear
- A reward for your child for after the injection
Pay It Off: It might be fun to set up a reward system with your child—a special treat after a week of perfect injections, for example.